Thursday, September 24, 2009

Jumping In...

A square piece of paper cannot be folded in half more than 7 times

I remember the huge sense of accomplishment I felt when I finished reading my first book – It was a tiny thing, 5 pages with colorful illustrations, simple words in large font. I think it was about a cat or a bunny… something small and furry… but the pride I felt as I reached the last page was all encompassing. Learning to read is like being inducted into a secret society – once your admitted, and a card carrying member (library card of course!) you're allowed to access endless reams of ‘secret’ information.
Like all those before me I soon found out what a gift reading is – it opened the doors into a world of possibilities, of knowledge and understanding. Of knowing what I didn’t know, and searching for answers if I didn't.  Now, as a writer, I feel the responsibility on the other opposite end– of creating stories that not only entrance, emotionally connect, but also leave a parting nugget of knowledge newly acquired…

So, here I am, jumping into the deep end of the blogging pool, with my nose closed and eyes wide open. I hope to post at least a couple times a week on reading, writing, sometimes eating, interesting conversations, happenstances, travelling and acquiring knowledge, in all its forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment